Duron upgrade to Athlon 1800

Sam Colt 13:38 21 Nov 05

I have a nephew who has a PC with a Duron 800 processor and 256MB RAM and he would like Civ4 for xmas. Rec specs are Pentium 4 1800 or Athlon 1800 equivalent. I think he must have a Socket A motherboard to have a Duron in it, but I don't know. What is the best way to upgrade, and how much would it cost, not counting labour costs? (as no-one there could replace the existing components.)

ACOLYTE 13:50 21 Nov 05

I dont think you could still get the Athon 1800xp
chips,there are some still about but rare unless you can buy online if not you may be better going for a AMD sempron a 2600+ OEM is about 45/50£,this is still a socket A cpu but you may need to check if your motherboard supports the sempron cpu,it would depend how old the mobo is,but with it having an 800 Duron now i doubt it would without a bios flash and then it may not be able to take the higher cpu it would depend on the max speed cpu it can take.
Found this click here for 1800 Duron.Fitting a cpu isnt that hard but can be daunting for a first time,if you need help post back someone would talk you through it.

HTH

gudgulf 14:08 21 Nov 05

MINIMUM

# Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher
# Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.2 GHZ
# 256 MB RAM
# 64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
# DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
# DVD-ROM drive
# 1.7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED

# Windows XP with SP1 or higher
# Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.8 GHz
# 512 MB RAM
# 128 MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)
# DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
# DVD-ROM drive
# 1.7 GB free hard disk space

Those are the minimum and recommended requirements for Civilisation 4.

This game needs Windows XP (it wont run on Win 98 or Me),an up to date graphics card of a reasonable standard(such as the NVidia 6600 or ATI 700 series cards) and 512MB ram if it is to run at a decent level.

Socket A is obsolete now so it wont be easy to find a suitable new processor to fit(ebay probably)....and that's assuming the motherboard will take the XP1800 or faster processor.

To put it bluntly......if your nephew is wanting to play up to date games he will need a suitable up to date pc.I doubt if the one he has will upgrade to an adequate standard.Even if it does the costs involved will probably rival those of a new pc.

In short, it is time for a new computer.

Sam Colt 14:26 21 Nov 05

Thanks. It's what I figured but needed a second opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…