Duplicating an application via USB2 is very slow

Pappyon 16:41 08 Jul 04

How long should it take to duplicate 13.9GB
from a HDD to an external using a USB2 internal connection.

The time quoted in the software I am using, ie Restrospect Express says nearly 3 hours. Is that correct. It seems to be taking years! I am very disappointed in the performance. It seems not better than using a USB1 connection!

In the Maxtor instruction book it says the drivers for the PCI card may need upgrading, but I am using the drivers from the CD ROM that came with the Belkin USB PCI which I just bought 2 days ago.

Grateful for any help received

Diodorus Siculus 17:30 08 Jul 04

Quoted time is never very accurate - it is a computation based on the size of the first few files multiplied by the number of the files and can be very poorly estimated.

Have you actually tried it to see what the real world time is?

Pappyon 17:47 08 Jul 04

Thank you for your response to my post.

I have actually tried to duplicate this application, and gave up after an hour. It just seemed to be incredibly slow.

I thought when it upgraded to USB2 which I believe is supposed to be 40 times faster than USB1. It doesn't seem like that to me.

TomJerry 17:56 08 Jul 04

(1) You need to check if your usb port on PC is actually usb 2. Check driver setup as well.

(2) Do not mix usb2 with usb 1, especially not use usb hub. Usb port normally work in pair, both can be usb2, but both will be usb1 if one device is usb1 and another is usb 2. This is especially true for most external usb2 hub. If you connect one port with usb1, all ports will be usb1.

3 hour seems too long. It does not take me long to copy 10GB over even with an external laptop style HDD (slow than desktop version). One exception is that you have a lot of small files.

Pappyon 18:30 08 Jul 04

It is definitely USB2. I have just installed the PCI card, and it is showing up as USB2 in Device Manager.

The cable is in the right port, as the plug has to be turned upside down for USB2

There are over 660 files in the program, and a great deal of MP3 files. It is Auduoclean 2004 I am trying to duplicate, incorporating a CD burning and photo facility program which I don't want but can't separate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…