Duplicate folders in Outlook 2003

anchor 13:44 02 Jan 04

I did a reformat of my hard drive and a full installation of Win-XP Pro and Office 2003.

I had previously backed up my Outlook files (outlook.pst), and copied this over to the new installation of Office. All went well, but I find that for some reason I have two identical copies of "Personal Folders", (and all their contents, inbox, outbox, etc, which are updated as I send and receive new messages).

How can I delete the second copy, ensuring that that I have only one, fully functioning, copy?.

VoG II 13:52 02 Jan 04

I'm not sure whether click here will help you. It should show whether there really are duplicates or whether Outlook is displaying the same folders twice.

Backup first! - as you know.

Big Elf 14:34 02 Jan 04

I've done this myself. What I do is open up Outlook, this creates the outlook.pst file. I then close it and delete the pst file. I open Outlook again and when it asks for the location I point it to my original copy.

Big Elf 14:36 02 Jan 04

P.S. I never found a way of deleting the duplicate folders but that doesn't mean to say it's not possible.

anchor 14:50 02 Jan 04

VoG; Thanks for the link, which I have tried. It appears that they are not really true duplicates, just the same folder being displayed twice. Hence the constant update with new messages.

Big Elf: Surely there must be a way of getting round this problem. Hopefully someone will know.

Big Elf 15:09 02 Jan 04

I think that when I tried to delete the duplicates that it also deleted the master hence my work round.

As long as you backup before you try my method it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do it.

anchor 17:10 04 Jan 04

Refresh

anchor 16:46 07 Jan 04

One last refresh

anchor 20:19 08 Jan 04

Well sadly no one else seems to have any further ideas, so I will tick this thread.

Open the folder view of outlook and if you can see bot the folders (the original and duplicate) try right clicking on the duplicate (usually the bottom) and then see if their is an option to "Close" this particular folder. If so click it and exit. Next time you start outlook it will be gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…