Duplicate files

JoJoh 09:00 21 Jan 04

I have run my computer with Norton Clean Sweep and
found that I have a lot of duplicate files on my system. This could be due to reloading windows and other programmes. I am able to delete these with the programme however how do I determine which one to delete? Is there a programme that informs me which of the duplicates is relevant as Norton only informs me that they exist, not which one to delete.

Jester2K 09:13 21 Jan 04

Just leave them. I doubt they are doing any harm or taking up much space.

Norton Clean Sweep doesn't tell you which ones to remove because it doesn't know. Its not easy to know which ones will be safe to remove, if at all. All it takes is for one "duplicate" file to be removed thats needed and you have a whole new headache!!

Leave them.

JoJoh 09:36 21 Jan 04

Thanks for this. The problem is that my hard drive is nearly full. I will take your advice.

Thanks

Jester2K 09:42 21 Jan 04

Ah in that case try removing some programs or temp files you no longer need.

What version of Windows are you running?

Look for folders called c:\temp and c:\windows\temp. The contents of these folders can be deleted with the exception of any files with dates more recent than when you last booted up. Supercleaner click here is great for clearing the rubbish from your PC.

Also try cleaning and reducing the size of your Internet Explorer cache. Tools menu, Internet Options. Delete Files to clean the cache, and Settings to reduce the cache to something like 25 Mb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…