Duplicate Files

SABRE 10:51 06 Aug 03

Running Win 2000 and found a folder that is full of duplicate files (i.e. copy of ......). Is there a way of getting rid of them or do I need an additional bit of software. if so, anyone recommend anything?

alcudia 11:04 06 Aug 03

How many and what type are they, and how do you think they got there. What is the folder called?
Did you create it?
If you don't want them just delete them, but if it was me I would like to know what happened if it was not a deliberate action of mine.
If they are all of the same type they may be backups created by a program. Do you know where the originals are?
Try checking date and time etc. It might remind you of something.

JIM 11:08 06 Aug 03

Try systems Mecnanic for 30 days,you may even end up buying it,very good and very safe.full working program for to try out.

click here

Bear in mind,

Not all (and possibly not most) of the files that are found are candidates for removal. Be sure to carefully scrutinize each set of duplicate files before making the decision to remove any of them. It is always recommended that you have a current backup of your system before performing any intensive operations such as contained in System Mechanic.

One of the most common technical support issues with computer software and hardware companies today is this problem of duplicate driver files. Duplicate files are also one of the major causes of diminishing hard drive space.

Duplicate files can begin appearing in your system for a number of reasons, and can have a number of detrimental results aside from wasting your drive space. Various applications may install the same driver files, dll?s, ocx?s (activeX controls), etc. in numerous different locations on your system, or you may copy or download the same files into different folders on your system without knowing it.

Sometimes the only result of this is wasted hard drive space, but many times, if there are a number of different copies of the same driver or other vital system file, your system can become confused as to which file to use and may even crash or lock up sporadically causing loss of data or other disastrous results.

Jester2K II 11:11 06 Aug 03

If they are called "Copy of Doc1.doc" for example then it sounds like this is an accidental drag and drop copy.

If you are sure you have the originals without the "Copy of" bit then you can delete them as normal.

Belatucadrus 11:21 06 Aug 03

Drive cleaners :- Space Odyssey click here , G-Lock Temp Cleaner 2.0 click here ,

SABRE 11:55 06 Aug 03

Thanks for advoice so far.
As these copy files are all in one folder (it is the backup folder for an accounts package) and in Explorer are easily identified under the 'name' section by their title 'copy of ....' can I list the files alphabeticaly (double click 'name')and select/safely delete them?

Jester2K II 11:58 06 Aug 03

Yes - IF you are sure you don't need them.

SABRE 10:00 08 Aug 03

thanks for assistance. Problem resolved!!

Peter 10:05 08 Aug 03

Green Tick please!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…