DUN/Modem Problem

Assassin 20:24 18 Apr 04

My friends running Win 98 with internal Intel Modem have lost their dial-up connection. They get error message 666 "Modem not plugged in or out of service. Connect a modem and try again". I have removed and re-connected modem to COM Port 1 (was Com 4 before) but still no connection. Any ideas on re-establishing connection?

Diodorus Siculus 00:10 19 Apr 04

Reinstall the drivers if you can get them from a CD / website.

Assassin 00:25 19 Apr 04

DS - Thanks for that advice. I will try it. Does it matter which COM port the modem is attached to? Only Port COM1 is showing in Device Manager, and the modem used to be connected to COM 4 before I re-installed it.

Diodorus Siculus 07:56 19 Apr 04

Assassin - it should not be a problem. Remove it from the device manager, shut down the pc, take out the modem, reboot, shutdown, reinstall the modem and then when windows reboots it will find the modem and you can direct it to the drivers.

Stuartli 09:01 19 Apr 04

You don't need to physically remove the modem - just Remove in Device Manager after highlighting the modem...:-)

Windows will automatically allocate the Comm port to be used and also the IRQ and reinstall the modem.

I would also download the 1.4 update version of DUN from the Microsoft website click here;en-us;Q285189 if not already installed and the latest modem driver from the manufacturer - visit click here for links if necessary.

Stuartli 09:02 19 Apr 04

If the Microsoft click here doesn't work use 285189 in the Knowledge Base search (check Article ID).

Assassin 09:31 19 Apr 04

... to both DS and Stuartli

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…