//some 3rd party need geo

'dumpreg' has apeared in my start up list

Corringdon 12:57 21 Oct 05

After several failed boots my machine started as normal. On checking my start up files in 'msconfig' I find an item called 'dumpreg O -k' is present whereas it was not before. The file is located in the Windows System 32 folder under the name 'dumpreg' and is listed as a Microsoft file. It is also listed in the registry under SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.
I can find no trace of the file through Microsoft's knowledge base. Google shows various listings some of which refer to hackers. My OS is XP Home and I am running McAfee Internet Security 2005 and Microsoft Anti-Spyware.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

xania 13:03 21 Oct 05

I have found some legitimate references to software that may have been installed:

click here
click here

I also found a number of reference sites simply by typing <dumpreg> into a search engine.

Corringdon 13:29 21 Oct 05

Sorry xania but I mis-typed the file name. It is 'dumprep' and not 'dumpreg'.

Corringdon 13:31 21 Oct 05

Apologies to all. I have now found out it is indeed a system file. That makes me a doughnut for not being able to read my own writing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…