'dumping physical memory.' Xp

bta1 18:39 16 Mar 04

My computer is only one year old adn was new when i brought it.
I recently installed a dvd writer and when i turned the computer off, i returned to the room to see a blue screen and it telling me it was dumping my physical memory. I have since been told this is the death knell of a computer but it is only a year old.

This hasn't happened before, is it something to do with my dvd writer? Is there anything i can do to stop my computer dying?

gudgulf 22:56 16 Mar 04

No not a death knell---if you get a blue screen of death xp makes a memory dump to a file that can be used to gather information of the state of your pc at the time the error occurred.

If you got a bsod after fitting the dvd drive it might be worth checking that it is properly configured as either master or slave depending how you have connected it .If windows will boot--check in device manager to make sure the dvd drive is listed and that no yellow conflict icons are showing.

What software are you using for the writer? this may be the source of the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…