Dumping NIS2005

seventiesdolly 17:56 28 Apr 06

I've 10 days of my subscription to Norton left, and i'm considering ditching it in favour of Avast, AVG or NOD32.
Which, out of these three, is the most user- friendly and idiot-proof? I don't really want to be having to 'configure' things i'm not sure about, and such like so it's got to be relatively straightforward.
Also, which free firewall runs smoothest with any of these programmes?

Thanks for any help or general advice!

Diodorus Siculus 18:04 28 Apr 06

Avast in my opinion. Once installed it udates itself automatically and runs along nicely using few resources.

Kerio is a good firewall - I used to use it but my new motherboard came with the nVidia firewall which is just as good.

Devil Fish 18:09 28 Apr 06

i will 2nd Avast

dont know about firewalls things have probably changed a bit since i last used a software firewall

Ray5776 18:14 28 Apr 06

Avast! even I can use it.

flyboy 18:47 28 Apr 06

Avast definitely.

seventiesdolly 22:14 28 Apr 06

Well, it seems unanimous then! Thanks for the advice :-)

The Spires 22:21 28 Apr 06

NOD32 is the best there is, it checks for updates every hour & is often updated several times a day. You only know it's there when it flags a virus.

remind 22:22 28 Apr 06

Just a small point; if you decide to download a firewall and you opt for Kerio (which is very effective) - selecting Simple mode will only provide incoming protection, better than the standard XP SP2 firewall but you need to select Advanced and put up with popups for a day or two to get the best from it.

seventiesdolly 22:20 30 Apr 06

Okay, thanks for the additional advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…