DUBIOUS SPYWARE?

rotormota 20:16 07 Feb 06

I have 16 malware scanners including, A2, AVG, Ad-Aware, Bazooka, Ewido, HijackThis, Microsoft, Norton, NoAdware, Spybot, SpywareDetector, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Spyware Nuker, Webroot Spysweeper & XsoftSpy. All are used for weekly scans.

The most recent purchase was SpywareDetector which came up with a number of high risk files from organisations called Starr Pro, BingoFun Games & RealSpy. Somewhat mystified as to why none of the other scanners had seen these I looked up the names on the net & indeed they are not good. In addition I located the rogue files on my PC & did a right click/properties to get a fwe more clues. The author of the Starr Pro files for instance is a chap called Eric W. Engler who also seems to be a bit of a so & so & has fingers in some very dubious monitoring style software.

However, I am still not sure whether to delete the little blighters on the basis that only one scanner found them. False positives?

Any ideas?

Best regards,
J

Jackcoms 20:26 07 Feb 06

16 malware scanners???

How ridiculous!!

Get a life.

VCR97 20:27 07 Feb 06

SpywareDetector was on the rogue list at click here but a note says that the latest version is OK. Perhaps you don't have the latest version.

VoG II 20:28 07 Feb 06

You definitely do not need that many.

SpywareDetector is a rogue product click here

Chris Webster 20:28 07 Feb 06

Have a read through this click here it may be of some help.

Haol 20:31 07 Feb 06

Do you keep your 16 spyware scanner updated? If not uninstall Bazooka, Ewido, HijackThis, Microsoft, Norton, NoAdware, Spybot, SpywareDetector, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Spyware Nuker, Webroot Spysweeper, XsoftSp, AVG and keep A2 and Ad-Aware, keep them updated.

rotormota 20:37 07 Feb 06

OK, 16 scanners may seem a lot but week in week out they all detect different things even if it is only just ropey cookies.

Yes they are updated once a week.

I know the jury is out so to speak on SpywareDetector but the rogue files it found are actually on my PC with that bloke Eric W. Engler as author.

Regards,
J

VoG II 20:46 07 Feb 06

Yes but thery are probably (deliberate?) false positive detections.

Run HJT click here and post a log on the Malware Removal forum click here

The Spires 21:11 07 Feb 06

Jackcoms, no need for comments like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…