Dual SATA Hardware Initiate Failed

flipinek 12:17 29 Jan 08

A fresh install of Windows XP on a Maxtor 1.5GB/s SATA 80GB HDD boots up normally, but when I add a second SATA HDD, Samsung 3GB/s 500GB, Windows will only load from a reset button press.

Boot from cold shows "Scan Devices", "Press Tab> key into user window" (which does nothing), "Hardware Initiate failed... The BIOS does not be installed. Press g> to continue."
"Disk boot failure, insert system disk..."
At which point pressing the reset button loads Windows and both disks are visible.

Restart from within Windows also boots up normally.

With only the Maxtor (system) disk connected, pressing the Tab> key on boot up shows a RAID settings window, but with only one disk in place none of the settings can be changed.
With both disks connected this BIOS window is unavailable.

As the two SATA disks are different sizes I believe I couldn't set up a RAID array even if I wanted to, which I don't, the larger HDD being solely for data storage.

How can I configure the BIOS to recognize the 500GB disk?

Could different data transfer speeds be an issue, if so could I slow down the 3Gb/s disk to match the other's 1.5Gb/s?

Motherboard is AOpen AK77-600GN, Phoenix Award BIOS R1.02 Dec2003. The latest BIOS update seems to be R1.08 Dec 2004 but I haven't risked flashing it yet. It apparently includes "Added "OnChip SATA" item in the "Integrated Peripherals" page to disabled/enabled onboard SATA controller", whatever that means.

flipinek 13:14 29 Jan 08

Just discovered, pressing Tab key during reset or restart opens BIOS RAID screen. Both drives shown, no arrays set, looks OK?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…