Dual OS Boot Problem

Yokehead 14:45 26 Dec 05

I originally had Windows ME installed on the C drive, when I upgraded to XP I installed this in an additional partition created using Powerquest PartitionMagic - I used the D drive for XP.
Yesterday, in order to create additional disk space, I decided I now didn't need ME any longer so I deleted files from the C drive, this resulted in the system not booting at all (NTLDR missing). To get round this I have installed XP on the C drive by booting from the CD so I am up & running, & can see all is still on the D drive. However I still cannot get the D drive version of XP to boot (I have tried getting it to boot using Boot Magic but this won't work). Is there a way to do this? I don't want to be faced with reinstalling all of the applications & updates.

Thanks

woodchip 14:55 26 Dec 05

If you removed ME that's your Problem as XP puts files in ME the boot file is also changed. So you need to do a Repair with the XP disc click here

woodchip 14:56 26 Dec 05

This one click here:

Yokehead 21:01 26 Dec 05

Hi woodchip, yes I know this is my doing! The XP repair doesn't work, XP setup doesn't recognise that an OS exists in the old D drive. Strangely, the Recovery Console does recognise 2 OS - I've run FIXBOOT & FIXMBR just in case but this hasn't helped. Any more ideas?

mgmcc 21:02 26 Dec 05

You need to edit the Boot.ini file in the "C" drive installation so that it gives you the menu at boot up from which to select the OS to load.

Right click "My Computer", select Properties then the Advanced tab. In the Startup & Recovery section, click the Settings button. In the next box, click the Edit button. The Boot.ini file should be something like (although you may have Home Edition instead of Pro):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Try adding this line at the end, then save and exit the file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Note the change of partition number from "1" to "2" and the omission of "WINDOWS="

woodchip 21:23 26 Dec 05

He does not have one he deleted the C:\ Drive contents.

Only thing I can think if you have important files on D:\ is ether fit the drive as Slave in another NTFS computer, or fit a new drive as Master in your computer then load XP to new drive, then fit old as Slave to get your files off

mgmcc 21:31 26 Dec 05

He said, quote, "To get round this I have installed XP on the C drive by booting from the CD so I am up & running, & can see all is still on the D drive."

Therefore, he does now have a Boot.ini file which relates only to "C" drive and this should be editable to give access also to the installation on "D" drive.

Yokehead 21:48 26 Dec 05

Guys, have put in the extra line & have tried the additional boot option that's now there - now have a 'missing hal.dll file' message so I'm going to run the bootcfg rebuild in Recovery Console (woodchip from your earlier link). Here's hoping!

woodchip 21:57 26 Dec 05

Good at least you are getting there

woodchip 21:58 26 Dec 05

click here;en-us;330184

mgmcc 21:59 26 Dec 05

<<< now have a 'missing hal.dll file' >>>

That suggests to me that perhaps your "D" drive is not actually the *SECOND* partition on the hard disk.

In the working installation of XP, right click "My Computer, select Manage and then Disk Management. The "graphic" representation of your hard disk in the right pane will let you see which partition is "D" drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…