Dual OS?

ace121pk 12:00 26 Nov 03

i have 2 harddrives, 8gb and 120gb, the 8gb is running Win XP Pro

so i decided to check out what Windows server 2003 is all about so i installed it on the 120gn HDD, i wanted to get rid of it so i deleted the windows folder for win2003 from the hdd but i still get the option to boot up win2003.

How do i get rid of this option? with out the need for formatting

Diodorus Siculus 12:11 26 Nov 03

File on the C drive called boot.ini

copy it to a safe place, then edit the original and remove the line about the OS you don't want.

ace121pk 12:23 26 Nov 03

Where do i find the boot.ini file? i've tried searching the whole C drive cant find it

temp003 12:45 26 Nov 03

It's on your C drive, c:\boot.ini, which is normally hidden as a protected operating system file.

You can click Start, Run, type c:\boot.ini and press Enter to open it in Notepad.

However, I suggest you do the following. Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings.

The current default operating system is probably Windows 2003 Server. Click the drop down list arrow, and select "Microsoft Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect as the default OS, click OK. Click OK again.

Re-enter Startup and Recovery Settings, click the Edit button.

In the section [operating systems], delete the line that refers to Windows 2003 Server.

That's the only change you need to make. Click File, Save. Exit. Click OK, OK. Restart.

ace121pk 13:04 26 Nov 03

thanks for your input, i've tried what you suggested,

but it still hasn't got rid of the boot option, now it displays Windows 2003 server and Windows default, it highlights the default window option

ace121pk 13:07 26 Nov 03

dam dam dam,

just looking at the boot.ini file i've deleted the Windows XP line, wot shud i do?!

Jester2K II 13:10 26 Nov 03

Replace it with the backup copy (you DID make a backup first as instructed) and then start editing again.

ace121pk 13:12 26 Nov 03

i copied the file to the clipboard but forgot to paste it, so i dont have a back up copy, i'm shafted,

is it possible to borrow a boot.ini file from a friend who has the same OS?

temp003 14:30 26 Nov 03

Don't panic, it's OK.

Presumably when you select "default windows", you can still boot into XP. (Fortunately, Windows created the "default Windows" option for you.)

Your XP pro is on the master ide hard disk, first partition, and it is your only OS, right?

Then go back to Startup and Recovery Settings, Edit, and the file should read:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Save and exit. Click OK, OK. Restart.

ace121pk 14:59 26 Nov 03

thanks

before i could get your message, i deleted the remains line about Windows 2003 server, whoops, LOL.

so i cudn't get back into windows, so i used the bootable winxp cd and managed to restore it, but i will remember this for future reference

see where my curiousity lead me!

thanx for all your help

p.s it did cross my mind to replace the line saying

'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise" /fastdetect

with

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Guess its too late now, thanks again much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…