Dual Monitors - AGP Card & Onboard Graphics

woodbexhill 19:27 31 May 05

I want to use dual monitor features of Windows, I have a GeForce 3 Ti200 in my AGP port, and when I plug this in I think it disables my onboard graphics.

Is there a way that I can have the onboard graphics and AGP card in use simultaneously so that I can plug-in 2 monitors and then use the dual monitor feature?

I read this from another website regarding this:

"Multi-monitor and onboard video cards
This should work fine. If the onboard card is PCI, it will become the secondary card, if it is AGP it will most likely be the primary. Depending on your BIOS, it could also be possible that the onboard video gets disabled as soon as another VGA card is in the system."

But I'm not sure how to stop it disabling the onboard video?

Any help appreciated

Slithe 16:58 01 Jun 05

Hi - I'm not sure you can actually do this - as one compensates for the other.

Onboard graphics is supplied as a generic on most PC's nowadays, and it is up to the end user to replace these with a new card.

How old is your machine? Most new boards and BIOS's pick up an AGP card and shut off the onboard display - mine does this, and its less than four months old.

As for two graphics cards i.e. the card and onboard - I don't recommend this, it will cause problems in Windows and make life awkward for you. That's why the onboard is suspended with a new card.

You might want to consider buying an adapter that allows you to have more than one monitor from your graphics card. I am not sure of this, so you may want to check, a KVM switch may be the answer - I AM NOT SURE OF THIS...

Final point, when you install any new card into a PC you remove the old one and any drivers to avoid conflicts. It's the same scenario with your graphics card.

Slithe 16:58 01 Jun 05

Hi - I'm not sure you can actually do this - as one compensates for the other.

Onboard graphics is supplied as a generic on most PC's nowadays, and it is up to the end user to replace these with a new card.

How old is your machine? Most new boards and BIOS's pick up an AGP card and shut off the onboard display - mine does this, and its less than four months old.

As for two graphics cards i.e. the card and onboard - I don't recommend this, it will cause problems in Windows and make life awkward for you. That's why the onboard is suspended with a new card.

You might want to consider buying an adapter that allows you to have more than one monitor from your graphics card. I am not sure of this, so you may want to check, a KVM switch may be the answer - I AM NOT SURE OF THIS...

Final point, when you install any new card into a PC you remove the old one and any drivers to avoid conflicts. It's the same scenario with your graphics card.

DieSse 17:17 01 Jun 05

Many on-board graphics chips are AGP - and if the board design shuts it down when an AGP card is plugged in, then there's basicaly nothing you can do.

A cheap PCI card would get you a second graphics output- also many of todays AGP cards already support two monitors.

Joe R 17:27 01 Jun 05

woodbexhill,

can you post the model and make of the Ti200, as I had a Gainward version of this card, a few years ago, and it had dual-monitor support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant