Dual monitor problem (desktop)

pwe896 15:11 02 Dec 07

I have a new PC custom built by a local shop. I told the guy that I wanted a dual-head graphics card. He installed an ATI-Radeon HD2600 Pro with two DVI sockets. I have a Samsung Syncmaster 215TW and a Sony E96D. The OS is Windows XP Pro.

If I connect the two monitors to the ATI card, they both work, however Windows sees them as "Syncmaster 215TW-1" and "Syncmaster 215TW-2". This means I can'r colour profile them individually (I'm a professional photographer so this is critically important).

As a workaround (I assumed) I put an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 into another slot and connected the Sony monitor to it (trying with first a digitak then an analogue cable) but it just doesn't work.

Windows Device Manager reports both cards and both monitors as installed and "working properly", yet in the 'Display Properties' 'Settings' tab Display drop down, I can see only :

1. Syncmaster 215TW(Digital) on ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro
2. Default Monitor on Nvidia GeForce FX5200
3. Syncmaster 215TW(Digital) on ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro
4. Default Monitor on Nvidia GeForce FX5200

The Sony doesn't show up on the list at all and it doesn't work (unless I plug it into the second socket on the ATI-Radeon card).

If anyone knows what the heck is going on I'd be grateful because I've run out of ideas.

Thanks in anticipation

Pete

100andthirty 17:19 02 Dec 07

I don't claim to be an expert on all this and have not done it myself, but.........

Have you installed both monitors' drivers?

If yes, it's time to go into the Catalyst Control Centre and try and configure 2nd monitor. I would look very carefully at the CCC help files and google the topic. It all made sense with the old CCC; I recently tried with the new one and got lost. I only downloaded the new one in an attempt to fix a problem. It was terminal, and I'm on nVidia now

Having seen PC's set up for screen and laptop with quite different properties, I'm sure it can be done!

100andthirty 17:19 02 Dec 07

I don't claim to be an expert on all this and have not done it myself, but.........

Have you installed both monitors' drivers?

If yes, it's time to go into the Catalyst Control Centre and try and configure 2nd monitor. I would look very carefully at the CCC help files and google the topic. It all made sense with the old CCC; I recently tried with the new one and got lost. I only downloaded the new one in an attempt to fix a problem. It was terminal, and I'm on nVidia now

Having seen PC's set up for screen and laptop with quite different properties, I'm sure it can be done!

TonyM 19:50 02 Dec 07

I agree with the above - I think you need to track down the driver for the Sony monitor. Once you have that the system should recognise the 2 different monitors and allow you to configure them seperately.

I would take out the NVIDIA card and concentrate on getting the monitor working as it should

pwe896 21:02 02 Dec 07

Thanks; I'll investigate and look for the latest driver

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5