Dual Layer: What does it mean?

Alf58 23:26 01 Jun 05

I'm a little hazy about "dual Layer" DVD recorders so would appreciate some clarification from the many knowledgable folks out there.

Firstly, does one record on both sides of the the disc?

Secondly, If I made a recording of my own home made video on a dual layer DVD would it play in my bog standard doestic £35 DVD player?

If it is one side recording and will play in a standard DVD player what is to stop people making direct copies of commercial DVD videos utilising the dual layer's much greater capacity? I personally do not condone breaking copyright law in any shape or form and would never do it.

SANTOS7 23:30 01 Jun 05

click here
good info here...

SANTOS7 23:34 01 Jun 05

click here
also here

Nipsen 2 09:13 02 Jun 05

bump

TomJerry 10:26 02 Jun 05

(1) Layer not side, it is still one side. Data recorded on two layers, one on top of another because top layer is tranparent

(2) Your player may not support unless it says support DVD+DL

(3) Dual layer media is expensive at the moment, cost £2+, but good quality single layer one can be bought 10p in bulk

The price may come down in one year time when blue-ray is coming to replace DVD

Alf58 11:26 02 Jun 05

Thanks for all the info. The info on Santos link seems to suggest Dual layer DVDs WILL play in standard DVD players but Tom and Jerry has a different opinion.

I raised the issue cos DABS Direct are flogging dual layerDVD players at thirty odd pounds which seems a bargain particularly if the dual layer DVDs CAN be played on standard doestic DVD players: that is the key question. Any body got an opinion that either supports or contradicts TOM and Jerry's view on this key issue?

DieSse 13:51 02 Jun 05

Regular commercial DVDs are often manufactured as dual layer - so in that sense domestic DVD players will play dual-layer disks.

However, as with CDs and single-layer DVDs, different domestic players differ in how well they support computer written disks. And is also varies with disk type and brand and recorder brand.

So TomJerry is absolutely correct - some may, some may not - look for ones that specifically say they will, and even then be prepared to experiment.

hssutton 13:57 02 Jun 05

I have just discovered that although my Verbatim DVD disks play on both my players, my Verbatim DVD lightscribe disks will not.

TomJerry 14:16 02 Jun 05

Press: commercial DVDs (CDs) are pressed using a master template

Burn: DVDs (CDs) produced by computers are burnt

This is why many DVD players cannot play DVD produced by computers

Alf58 00:10 03 Jun 05

Thanks for all the replies. As is often the case, the answer is "possibly" but "unlikely."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now