Dual installation of XP on one hard drive

jerica 17 May 13

Hi, in trying to re install XP home and the house computer I have managed to install two XP os's on one hard drive, how can I remove one without stuffing up the other? Thanks.

Procrastinus 17 May 13

My advice would be to use a programme like GParted and just delete the 'second' XP partition. If you then have a problem booting, repair your MBR as per MBR Repair

Other wiser heads may have other methods!

jerica 27 May 13

OK, so had a thought, what would happen if I tried to install Win7 over it all and told it to format the hard drive before installing, which I think is an option? Anyone tried this?

Chronos the 2nd 27 May 13

Installing Windows 7 will remove XP from that partition or hard-drive.

You will have to delete one partition as you must have two partitions on the hard-drive if you managed to install two copies of XP.

Loads of help here. Google.

Chronos the 2nd 27 May 13

Installing Windows 7 will remove XP from that partition or hard-drive.

You will have to delete one partition as you must have two partitions on the hard-drive if you managed to install two copies of XP.

Loads of help here. Google.

jerica 27 May 13

Thanks Chronos.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message