Dual Graphics cards SLI

isca2 10:42 05 Jan 08

Am thinking of having 2 graphics cards in my new pc. Being new to this, can someone explain how this works. Do I need 2 DVI connectors to the monitor ( not sure if the monitor has two inputs ! ) or do the cards somehow link up together and act as one with just one lead from one of them to the monitor?

QuizMan 11:11 05 Jan 08

It's just one cable from one of the graphics cards to the monitor. There's a bridge link internally, supplied with the motherboard, to connect the 2 cards. Also, there is usually some sort of adjustment to the motherboard to switch from normal to SLI mode. The motheboard user guide will advise on this.

isca2 11:22 05 Jan 08

Thanks QuizMan, thought that might be how it works.

Pine Man 11:38 05 Jan 08

I know you have ticked this as resolved but you might want to reconsider having two cards.

The general consensus is that one good one is better than two mediocre ones and in addition you will get twice the noise from two cards as well as a bigger power requirement from your PSU. One other thing to consider as well is that SLI drivers are not yet as reliable as standard drivers.

wiganathlad 14:19 05 Jan 08

hi i have got a 3.20 ghz dual core 2 processor 2 gig ram im lookin for a new graphics card cos teh 1 i got in is crap its a nvidia geforce 7500le im lookin to spend around £50 to £100 on a new card any ideas any 1 ?

wiganathlad 14:22 05 Jan 08

1 so i can get good results wen im playin call of duty 4 and crysis ect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced