Dual DDR - can I use any old DDR?

Gaz W 22:27 22 Mar 05

Hi,

I have asked this question before but would just like to make sure before making any mistakes!

I can buy a Dual DDR kit of 2 x 256MB DDR 400 with aluminium heat spreaders for around £41, OR the cheaper normal DDR 400 for around £16 a stick, which is obviously cheaper. What's my best bet?

Thanks,

Gaz

TomJerry 22:32 22 Mar 05

your motherboard support it, but so called "extra" performance is not obvious for most applications

anyway, memory is not the slowest part of PC (HDD is), so DDR withgout dual will be more than sufficient

Gaz W 22:43 22 Mar 05

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

The board does support dual DDR, and I thought that it might as well use it if support for it is there. Lots of PCs you see to buy use dual DDR.

What I meant in my question was this:

I have read that Dual DDR is basically just the motherboard using 2 sticks of memory, so I could just use any matched pair of sticks of, say 256MB to get 512MB Dual DDR 400, rather than pay the extra for the Dual DDR kit.

Having said that, the dual DDR kit is probably better quality memory anyway.....

TomJerry 00:01 23 Mar 05

so, they may not match even you get two at the same spec

Gaz W 00:05 23 Mar 05

That thought did occur to me, but I also read that you can mix different types, e.g. PC 3200 and PC 2700, but it will only run at the slower speed.

I could be wrong, or what I read could be wrong though!

Chegs ® 01:25 23 Mar 05

I have 3 sticks of DDR RAM,all from the same mfg and purchased at the same time.One out of the three(when tested)had a small difference in speed,it was only somewhere about 50Mbs(at 1600Mbs ish actual speed)slower than the other two.During normal use(all three installed)its inferior performance rarely gets noticed,but once its asked to perform hard it makes its presence really felt(unstable apps,graphics freezing,menus remaining onscreen after the apps closed,etc)I could sort most of this by installing a RAM Optimiser,until the dodgy stick of RAM gets warm(only about 26C)then all hell breaks loose again.This is just some of the problems I've encountered with "cheapest" DDR,I am reckoning to be able to buy three "branded" replacements in the near future and as RAM prices have fallen since I bought this 1.5Gb,hopefully the better quality/faster RAM will cost me a few quid less.If you can afford the "Dual" kit,get it or you might be letting yourself in for a dose of my PC's ailments. :-)

Totally-braindead 01:50 23 Mar 05

Buy from crucial at least then you'll know its good quality memory and it'll work with your motherboard. click here

Gaz W 11:53 23 Mar 05

Pity about the price! £36 for 256MB!

It looks like I'll be sticking with the dual DDR kit then, since it is a good make and just over £40 for 512MB (2 x 256MB)

On a slightly different topic, the memory I'm using in my PC was the cheapest they had in the shop, but it is branded Geil, which I have heard is good. It doesn't have any heat spreaders on it though, and at the moment I think it's faulty, so yes I agree that going for more expensive stuff makes sense.

BigMoFoT 12:12 23 Mar 05

you buy dual DDR memory they come in matched pairs such as Corsair's Twinx range for example. The purpose is to utilise both sticks simultaneoulsy whereas if you had 2 sticks of non duall ddr memory then when windows has used up one it then moves on to the next - this way they are used simultaneoulsy thus using resources more efficiently. Most boards that have dual ddr technology usually use blue memory slots to indicate this. When dual ddr memory is activated (inserted) the timings and bitrate of the memory transfer on the board are improved for example from 64 bit to 128 bit as opposed to 64 bit single channel.
Most boards can be fussy on what type/manufacturer they require so even crucial memory may not work on your most favoured board.
In short dual ddr memory is expensive to set up but it does make a difference.

rickf 12:41 23 Mar 05

Like BigMoFot says. It could work but best to buy matched pairs.

Chegs ® 14:05 23 Mar 05

Just out of interest,my mobo doesn't support dual memory,but if I got a Gb of dual(2x512Mbs)and a third stick of same brand,chances are it will be a closer match than the three sticks I presently have(Elixir brand)if the dual memory would work in my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…