Dual Core Upgrade

doveys 10:29 11 Aug 06

Folks, good morning.

I would be very grateful for your advice and assistance. I do a lot of photographic and video editing, etc and my current system is groaning, especially when rendering video. I want to upgrade to an AMD Athlon X2 but should I go for Socket AM2 or Socket 939 ? I will obviously have to change my motherboard, but does anyone have experience of which one I should chose. I assume that I can’t use my existing RAM and will have to change to DDR2. Is this correct? Will my existing graphics card still be usable or do I have to change that as well? And…. If that wasn’t enough, will the new motherboard still run my current hard-drives. I can’t afford to change those as well.

Below is my current system spec.
Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Processor 1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
Main Circuit Board MSI MS-6712 1.0
Memory 1024 Megabytes
Display MSI MS-StarForce GeForce4 MX 440 (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440)
Hard Drives SAMSUNG SV0602H (60.06 GB) s/n 0451J1EW310092; ST340823A (40.02 GB) s/n 5EF0PVG1

I understand I am asking a lot, but if anyone can help I would really appreciate it

keef66 12:04 11 Aug 06

Sounds like your pc is the same age / spec as mine. I have considered the options, and can tell you all your fears about upgrading are well founded.

New mobo to take a dual core cpu will mean faster memory and a pci-express graphics card, and ideally sata hard drives.

You could use some of your old components, eg the IDE HDDs, but you'd only be slowing down your new system.

I quickly concluded that the most effective upgrade would be a new base unit. You can get a blisteringly fast processor, as much RAM as you like, and hard disks the size of Belgium.
Dell are astonishingly good value at the moment.
Take a look at the most recent Intel duo processors; they have been getting very good reviews.

doveys 14:19 11 Aug 06

keef66

Many thanks. Your suggestion was one that I was coming around to as well. By the time that you add all the bits and pieces together, it's probably better to get a matched set.

Once again, many thanks

keef66 15:36 11 Aug 06

It's sad to see all the stuff you bought at great expense 4 years ago becoming obsolete, but progress in this area is relentless. You'd only be kidding yourself if you tried to justify upgrading the existing pc.

I put extra memory and a better graphics card into mine, and it's now going to have to last me until Windows Vista has been around for 2 years and I can buy a new pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…