Dual core and two physical processors.

Portly 21:13 21 Nov 07

Can anyone advise please on situation with XP Home and XP Pro, concerning multi processors.

When XP first appeared, advise was that you needed XP Pro to use two physical processors. That was before dual / quad processors were about.

Does anyone know if you still need XP Pro to properly use a dual core processor.

Why wont it work 21:25 21 Nov 07

Windows XP is licensed per processor socket, not per processor.

XP Pro entitles you to use 2 processor sockets and XP home one. The only systems which tend to come with more than one socket are servers or high-end work station that use Intel Xeons or AMD Opterons etc.

Anyway, all that means is you can have as many processors as you like so long as it's on one processor package. Thus dual core (or even quad or octo!) would work absolutely fine. Both XP pro and home are able to benefit from dual core exactly the same, XP pro for example wouldn't be any better than Home. Hope that explains it!

Portly 21:34 21 Nov 07

I was wondering whether I should get a copy of XP Pro whilst you still can. But since my only concern was for multi processors, your explanation will save quite a few quid.

Ta muchly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…