dual core - is there a gaming advantage

Jomi 19:52 30 Mar 07

Does anyone know if there is a gaming advantage using dual core CPU over single core, for example given the same graphics card and ram, will dual core 6400 produce better frame rates than a 3200 single core with the same ram and graphics?

Hope that makes sense to you!!!

thanks

howard64 20:18 30 Mar 07

it will if the software is written to take advantage of core 2 duo. I have just built a c2d e6300 and have not noticed it any faster that the previous single core one but then i have not got any specially written progs for c2d.

i upgraded from a 3500 athlon to a dual core, they use the optimiser software, games run a bit smoother/ faster as the dual core can handle your av programs and updates etc, i think vista makes use of dual cores also.
but i would recommend it, myself

Jomi 20:29 30 Mar 07

Thanks Howard64,

What I'm worried about is that if I buy into dual core, with each CPU core slower than my single core i.e. move from 3200mhz single core to 2 X 3000mhz dual core, will that have a negative effect on frame rates?

Jomi 20:32 30 Mar 07

Thanks adman 2

You upgraded from a 3500 Athlon to which dual core?
Thanks also for pointing me to the optimiser page, I'll remember that as and when I upgrade (assuming I stick with AMD).

i was usure, but i went for a faster cpu anyway a 5200x2, so even one core is a little faster, try come comparisons on tomshardware.com
here are some games which run full support
click here

skeletal 20:39 30 Mar 07

Programs written with multi–cores in mind will run a lot faster. These are few and far between ATM. However, each core of the new core duos also have other tricks that make them perform better than older processors.

And if you are doing several tasks simultaneously (e.g. I can scan for malware whilst running Word, or start Excel calculating a giant spreadsheet at the same time as editing a PowerPoint file) it is like the other process is not there. A single core processor doing the same thing almost comes to a stop.

With games, one core can concentrate on the game whilst the other will handle odd processes that crop up from time to time. This gives a slight speed increase and helps reduce stuttering (although I still do get this from time to time...even a 6700 and 8800GTX hasn’t got enough power for me!).

I think one of the big bottlenecks now is the hard drive, because if the two tasks want to access it at the same time, they have to wait for one another.

But overall, multi-core is the way to go.

Skeletal

skidzy 21:00 30 Mar 07

After running my old faithful socket 478 with Pentium 2.6 into the ground,i decided to plump for a new Vista system with the E6300.....WOW impressive !

Running a virus scan,writing a document,flicking through web pages,burning a dvd...then there is all those background processors going on,this all going on together and absolutely no lagging or freezing.

Though im not a gamer and cannot vouch for the E6300 in that respect,i must admit its pretty impressive.

citadel 22:38 30 Mar 07

the gaming mags recommend a core 2 duo or quad.

Jomi 20:31 04 May 07

Thank you all very much for the input, I'll close this thread now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…