Dual core question

VNAM75 12:30 23 Jan 07

Trying to decide between a single core 2ghz AMD turion or dual core intel (2x1.6ghz) for a laptop. If only one application is being run would the dual core processor have 1 or 2 cores working on it?

Batch 14:04 23 Jan 07

AFAIK normally 1, unless the application itself is multi-threaded - some newer PC software may have been developed with this in mind.

VNAM75 14:30 23 Jan 07

hmm, so the amd might be better then since I don't usually have multi apps running at one time?

Woolwell 14:48 23 Jan 07

Need to know what you want to use the laptop for and what the other specs are. Personally I would go dual core.

VNAM75 15:07 23 Jan 07

Everything really - internet, games, office 2003.. Other specs are built in 128mb graphics, 512mb ram, 60gb hd.

skeletal 17:58 23 Jan 07

The dual core processors are very quick even when using one core, and have other advantages as well (like lower power consumption).

Also, very useful when you have more than one app open at a time. I recently ran a spy ware check at the same time as using Word. And I typically have up to 20 instances/apps open at the same time. The only slow down is when several things try to access the hard drive together; other than that you don’t notice. Doing this on my old single core made Word really slow.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…