Dual Core Processors etc.

terrym 22:48 29 Dec 07

I have an AMD 1.60 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM in my PC and note, high-end games require Dual core processors etc., can motherboards be upgraded to this level without resorting to buying a newer high-end PC. Asuming Quad Core and Multi Core are better than Dual Core. Can anyone advise on this?

gudgulf 23:10 29 Dec 07

Do you mean you want to upgrade without changing the motherboard?

It might be a good idea to post the full specs of your pc and give us a clue as to what games you would like to play.

I suspect your pc is quite old and you would probably be needing to upgrade a lot more than the cpu for high end games.

LABMAN 23:18 29 Dec 07

Hello Terrym,

You can install any motheboard in your pc that it wil take, such as a full size ATX or Mini ATX.

The problem with upgrading an older PC is that you start to run into problems with what you can carry over to your new board.

For instance if you for an intel motherboard the chances are that your memory won't be any good, I'm assuming it's DDR and mayby even older, so you have to buy new memory, chances are you will certainly need a new PCI express graphics card as your old one if toy have one will be an AGP card, then your power supply may not be up to running a newer faster processor so that's another new purchase, before you know it you have just about replaced everything inside the case.

To be honest I feel that once a PC has passed a certain stage in it's life then upgrading is realy not worth the hassle, but hopefully others will give you their opinions as well.

Johnnybee 23:58 29 Dec 07

Labman is quite right Terry; however you don't have to rush round to "whereintheworld" and go into hock for a lot of money for a core 2 Duo just yet.
There is a lot of yesterday's technology still out there that will do whatever you need it to do for a lot less than the price of a decent night out, if you're prepared to look for it.
Socket 478 Intel and AMD 64 systems can be bought very cheaply since the coming of dual-core CPU's, and will handle more or less anything you can throw at them, so have a look in your local papers, Bargain Pages, Exchange & Mart etc for a PC that suits your budget.
Have a look too at eBay; there's literally hundreds of perfectly competent PC's on there that go under the hammer for ridiculous prices!
This one (A64 3700, 1Gb RAM, MSI 7049 M/B and 280Gb of storage) cost me the princely sum of £127 to build from start to finish, so it can be done for a modest outlay.

cream. 00:03 30 Dec 07

" I have an AMD 1.60 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM "

You would need a new motherboard, cpu and ram. Anything that fits into a "AMD 1.60 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM" would not go into a new motherboard. You would also need a new graphics card, if you are currently using an AGP one.

The good news is that your drives and cards would be fine to add on.

You might find that a motherboard bundle could be suitable for a major upgrade. click here Prices can start from as low as £88 for a dual core system with faster memory.

terrym 21:28 31 Dec 07

The motherboard bundle sounds like a good route to follow, am I right in thinking that I remove my existing motherboards and add in the new? I'm not that techie on this so bear with me, I then add in video card etc and rebuild a new machine while keeping my harddrive too. Does the supplier provide details to follow?

citadel 21:48 31 Dec 07

unless you have retail full copy of windows xp you will have to get a oem windows disc to install on your new system. it is best to get a new hard drive if you have had the present one a few years. you need a core 2 duo or quad, 2g memory and a 8800gt for the gaming you want.

terrym 21:39 01 Jan 08

Percy Vere supplied a link to Novatech supplier of motherboard bundles & on reading the Build Guide instructions there is a reference to making sure you get the right board to fix the existing pc case. My pc case is an upright model and I'm not sure if its either a Micro ATX (MATX) or ATX size. The Guide goes on to note and states that an MATX board will fit into a ATX case but an ATX board will not fit in to a MATX case. Can anyone advise on this aspect?

cream. 21:54 01 Jan 08

A Micro ATX motherboard is just a smaller version of it's big brother a ATX motherboard.

Computer cases, depending on there size, can accept various sizes of motherboards. They have screw holes that match the motherboard.

for example

If your case now has a normal sized ATX motherboard, you could replace it it with a mini ATX, Micro ATX or a normal ATX motherboard.

We should be able to advise of you could either give a rough size of your current motherboard or tell us how many white PCI slots it has or the make and model of the motherboard.

terrym 22:12 01 Jan 08

MY System Slots are 4 PCI, 1 AGP
Motherboard Model K8M800-8237, but no make shown from System Info for Windows.
Case external size is: Width:7 inches(18cm)
Height:17 inches(43cm)
Depth:19 inches(49cm)

cream. 22:19 01 Jan 08

Thats just the chipset on the motherboard, this is used by a lot of manufacturers.

The size of the case and the fact that it has 4 PCI and 1 AGP would indicate a normal mid tower atx case.

This case should take any ATX or small motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…