Dual core processor

blacki29 17:27 24 Jun 06

Hi,

I am looking for some info. The new dual core processor. Is it in fact 2 separate processors or something else. i have read some magazines about them but i still am a bit lost. Hopefully you can help.

Thanks

Blacky29

DieSse 17:31 24 Jun 06

It's two processors in a single chip.

click here

blacki29 17:42 24 Jun 06

thanks,

but can you get two 3.0 ghz chips which would make your pc have a speed of six ghz , or is it two 1.5ghz chips which would make your pc have a speed of three ghz.

Sorry if this sounds confusing

DieSse 17:50 24 Jun 06

*....two 3.0 ghz chips which would make your pc have a speed of six ghz*

No - it's always two (say) 3GHz with a speed of 3GHz each. When it's running applications that can take advantage of dual processors (and not all can), then you can't get to double the throughput, but you will get higher throughput than a single core.

The link explains this quite well actually.

FatboySlim71 22:58 24 Jun 06

I own a PC that has a Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 950 Dual Core Processor (3.40GHz, 800MHz, 2x2MB cache) I have overclocked it to 4.1 GHZ, I must say that it did not need overclocked, its just that I wanted to get as much as I could out of it, I makes encoding dvd and other processor intense tasks very fast, even in its unoverclocked state. I can't recommend dual core enough, basically you have two cores built into the processor with each one running at that speed, this allows you to say for instance, encode a dvd which would be done with one core and then you have another core which will run at that speed to do other things. Basically you can be doing two seperate things on the computer and it will not slow down like it would if you only had a single core processor.

woodchip 23:07 24 Jun 06

And 3+3 in two CPU's add to 4.5 not 6 sorry but that's computers

blacki29 12:08 25 Jun 06

Thanks for the help. Its after helping me to understand about them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…