DUAL CORE PC'S

hijo 17:07 18 Oct 06

has anyone got one of the new dual core pc's that can give me some idea if there much better then the normal pc's,as i am thinking of getting a good un around a grand, max £1400,

sean-278262 17:10 18 Oct 06

Define good. They will multitask better than a single core but in many cases the dual cores are overall slower than an on par single version(with only one core speed). However overall you are future proofing yourself.

rawprawn 17:18 18 Oct 06

Marking this as I will be interested to see the comments.

sean-278262 17:22 18 Oct 06

Incase my previous one takes too long to make sense of simply put the singles are better overall for speed but duals are futureproofing yourself. I would take the dual core as in the not so distant future you will get more from it as you sound as if you are a gamer.

rawprawn 17:31 18 Oct 06

I am no gamer but I would like my next computer to be faster, particularly multitasking. At the moment My dell Dimension 4300 (4 years old)can get swamped when I ask it to do too many things. I have upgraded RAM etc as far as the MB will take.

anskyber 17:31 18 Oct 06

As a simple comparison click here then choose different CPUs and choose a benchmark you want to test it against. eg, multitasking or games to see how different CPUs perform.

Creature of the Nite advice in effect summarises the tests available on my link.

sean-278262 17:32 18 Oct 06

Then dual core will make your day. If you are willing to wait a few months more till after xmas there are supposed to be quad cores readily available so that would make even more of a difference.

anskyber 17:34 18 Oct 06

I have recently (7 months ago) bought a Dell Dimension 9150 with dual core and it breezes through multi tasking, see my link above.

rawprawn 17:43 18 Oct 06

Thanks for that, I am taking note and saving up!!
After Xmas seems about the right time for both me and technology

wotbus@ 18:17 18 Oct 06

Dual Core - Video rendering pimps and speedy ;-)

hijo 22:37 18 Oct 06

"Creature of the Nite" is this true next year there is going to be quad core pc's...??? do we have a price....????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple