Is dual channel ram faster?

ACOLYTE 12:50 27 Nov 05

I have just noticed(after having the mobo 2years)
that to enable dual channel ram i need to swop the dimm's to channel A and channel B,i had them both in channel A before and it never worked i have since moved them and on boot at the post screen it now says dual channel enabled,is there any benefit to this bieng enabled?, i havent noticed any difference.

Chegs ®™ 12:57 27 Nov 05

Yes,but your unlikely to actually see the difference as the speed difference is in nanoseconds.

SG Atlantis 13:01 27 Nov 05

you might notice a slight improvement in benchmarking, otherwise chegs is right.

ACOLYTE 13:01 27 Nov 05

Thx,so what does the dual channel do?if i cant see what its doing how do i know if its better than it was,hope that makes sence.

SG Atlantis 13:02 27 Nov 05

communicates in double the bandwidth to both banks.

eg instead of communicating at 64k it communicates at 128k.

SG Atlantis 13:03 27 Nov 05

does on my machine anyway.

ACOLYTE 13:07 27 Nov 05

Ok thx guys most helpful and informative.

gudgulf 13:10 27 Nov 05

In dual channel mode it's like having two seperate memory channels working in parallel......it effectively doubles the memory bandwidth (amount of data it can handle per second).

It will show its presence in certain memory intensive programs and as has already been mentioned,in benchmarks.

It can help with gaming performance where lots of textures are loaded into RAM and are swapped back and forth to the graphics card....makes gameplay a little bit smoother.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…