Dual Channel RAM & differnt RAM speeds?

Mysticnas 11:40 18 May 03

hiya, i have just puchased and installed a dual channel motherboard.

I have 2 sticks of DDR266 RAM. but i think it is causing a bottle neck in my system. If i purchase 2 more sticks of RAM at DDR400, and install these in the 2 remaining dual channel slots, with they run at thier own speeds because they're in a 2nd channel?

or will they clock down to 266 regardless of the dual channel?

the website recommends i use RAM from this list:
click here

But i've always used crucial. Whats the difference between the RAM on the list and RAM from Crucial?

I am new to overclocking, but have clocked my P4 2.4 to 2.81 and it's running a temp of around 39C. The problem occurs when i try to go any further, and i think it's the RAM thats causing the bottleneck.
When i clock my CPU the RAM clocks automatically.

What shall i do?

Mysticnas 12:38 18 May 03

jazzypop 12:58 18 May 03

1. You think that your existing RAM is struggling to keep up with your overclocked CPU

2. You propose adding faster RAM to the spare slots.

Regardless of whether the dual-channel facility works as expected, how will the motherboard know to stop trying to force the existing RAM to run faster, if you say that the RAM speed is automatically increased as the CPU is overclocked?

I don't claim any expertise in what you are tring to do - it just seems illogical to expect it to work.

Perhaps if you posted details of your mobo, one of the more experienced overclockers will be able to give a more definitive answer.

Rayuk 13:38 18 May 03

You are inviting problems by mixing your ram that way.Sell your old stuff and buy 2 sticks of PC3200
If you use the memory selector on Crucial you should be alright.

Mysticnas 14:29 18 May 03

i thought that was the case, but just checking anyway. So i'll buy the new ram and get rid of the old ram.

Thanks....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…