Dual Channel RAM

Samuelson 22:39 08 Sep 05

Can anyone tell me what I need for dual channel DDR RAM?

I have a spanking new mobo that supports Dual Channel DDR, and I have myself here 2 x 1GB Crucial PC3200 sticks. I have them installed but on boot it tells me that they are single channel.

ps. I dont have them installed in slots side-by-side on the mobo, does this affect it?

GaT7 22:44 08 Sep 05

"I dont have them installed in slots side-by-side on the mobo, does this affect it?" - yes, it could. Check the motherboard manual (paper or PDF version) - it should tell you how the RAM sticks should be installed for dual-channel mode to operate. It did for mine. G

GaT7 22:45 08 Sep 05

Install them side-by-side - that should normally do it. G

Samuelson 22:52 08 Sep 05

The reason I have them appart is due to the big fat heat sinks on them stick out so much. Ah well, will just have to squeeze them together. Thanks mate.

gudgulf 22:55 08 Sep 05

I have an Asus board that uses slots 1&3 for dual channel operation with 2 sticks of memory.
What motherboard are you using?

DieSse 22:59 08 Sep 05

The manual is what tells you where they need to be to operate dual-channel mode. Don't rely on guesses by anyone who doesn't know what motherboard you have.

Tell us your motherboard and you'll get a proper answer, if you need it.

Samuelson 23:10 08 Sep 05

Have a Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLI board. Slots 1 + 4 used, each has 1GB Crucial PC3200.

dan11 23:23 08 Sep 05

To achieve duel channel memory mode,for this board. You must use either slots 1+2 together or slots 3+4 together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…