Dual Channel memory,please clarify!

rickf 23:10 07 Jun 03

I suddenly realised that I don't know much about what this means. I am about to buy a GA-81K1100 mobo which has this capability. Can I use "ordinary" ddr memory?

hugh-265156 23:14 07 Jun 03
  rickf 23:31 07 Jun 03

Thanks huggyg!From What I can gather from the article I can just use ordinary ddr mem and the dual channel controller on the mobo doubles the rate of transfer. Am I right? I take it that there is no such thing as dual channel mempry modules.

hugh-265156 23:54 07 Jun 03

im no expert on this.just get ddr memory that your mobo supports and you`ll be ok.

the mobo manual will no doubt be a good source of info.

to the best of my knowledge(and its not very good)it requires pairs of memory modules to be installed to gain the best performance.

someone with better knowledge will be able to advise.

Mysticnas 00:26 08 Jun 03

although in theory you don't need to get specific DDR for this you sometimes have to.

I also have a gigabyte motherboard which supports dual channel DDR. If you read the manual you should see that it states that the ram module have to be exactly the same to work properly, for instance you need to have either 2 or 4 modules, having 1 or 3 modules in won't run on dual channel. Also both have to be of the same size and speed etc...

For example 2 or 4 sticks of 256Mb all of which are PC3200 speed. I have 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR of the same speed. Some companies have Dual channel specific DDR modules which are tested in this dual channel mode and then packed as a pair. However these are usually only required for power users, people who want to clock their ram to get more out of it.

Also if you only have 2 sticks of DDR you'll have to put them in the correct channels, if you've got a gigabyte mobo then you will have colour coded ram slots to help you out here. The ram modules must be in the same coulor slots to run as dual channel, eg. channels 1 & 3 or channels 2 & 4.

Hope all this helps.

oh and you'll be able to tell if the dual channel is running as it'll tell you during boot.

hugh-265156 00:32 08 Jun 03

there ya go

rickf 08:53 08 Jun 03

Thanks all. Exactly what I needed to know. You guys are the font of knowledge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…