dual booting xp + knoppix linux + partition magic

hugh-265156 23:22 27 Jun 03

hi all.i have windows xp home (oem packard bell recovery disk jobby)with 40gig seagate u series drive using NTFS.8 gigs used at the moment all healthy, no errors etc.

i have recently been using knoppix live cd(linux) .i like it and wish to install it on the hard drive to enable me to use it properly.

i want to be able to boot to either os at start up.i have a demo of partition magic 8,can i use this to do the job?

i have searched the forum and read most of the threads on partitioning and most of the help in pm8 and it seems fairly straightforward but there is one thing im afraid of doing and thats deleting the hidden partition that my xp recovery disk reads from.

can anybody give me suggestions on the correct way to go about this please.

simpler the better.many thanks.

zanwalk 23:48 27 Jun 03

Firstly, your demo version of PM won't allow you to actually use it to partition, etc.

Secondly, there should be no danger of you deleting your hidden partition if you are careful.

Thirdly, Partition Commander 6 is on the cover disk of PC Plus this month (Aug), and is apparently well recommended, although I haven't tried it yet.

hugh-265156 23:53 27 Jun 03

i lost my pc plus disc :-(

the demo is a sixty day trial version and it seems to be fully functional?

just reading up some more on this.

can anybody recommend any free software thats easy to use?

zanwalk 23:57 27 Jun 03

Ranish is the only free one I know of - a search on Google should bring it up.

If you want a copy of Partition Commander just email me.

Rikku 00:07 28 Jun 03

why dont you try turning to kazaa? download something similar off there just a thought although you might not wanna do ne thing bad. if so i never recomended it. ;)

hugh-265156 00:09 28 Jun 03

erm....no.

thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos