Dual booting Windows ME and XP problems

frank615 11:54 19 Feb 03

I partitioned my HDD, c: as fat 32 running ME, D' as NTFS with XP. XP starts as default, but does'nt see ME. I think I need to edit the boot.ini, but I am not sure of the correct format to write. has anyone managed this successfully?

Help please, as XP does not support my Canon FS2710 film scanner (I checked with Canon)

Frank

beastieboy 12:07 19 Feb 03

1 solution - get rid of Millenium Edition.

Janusz

P.S. Concerning the scanner, I came accross this problem yestrday - I don't think it support's fast user switching so try setting it up on all users that access the computer - I realise there is only 1 registry but this is what Canon told me

©®@$ђ 12:28 19 Feb 03

you could try a windows 2000 driver for your scanner

click here

for dualboot options in xp

click here how did you setup your dualboot, did you create two partitions and install ME to the first then installed xp to the second, explain please, see the link above,also if you want to share files betwenn both operating systems you should have installed xp as fat32 so it can see the other os, as ntfs cannot read fat32

right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup and recovery

you can set it to display both operating systems for a cetain time make sure you have a timeout of atleast 5 seconds

you can also edit the staup optinons there(boot.ini)

i have just xp installed and this is mine

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

(note: i have put spaces in between so you can see the layout)

©®@$ђ 12:42 19 Feb 03

this maybe of some use to you

click here

dth 14:05 19 Feb 03

The problem is that the Win XP drive on D is NTFS (rather than FAT32) and cannot see the Drive C with Windows ME.

As you are using a dual boot system it is best to have both drives as FAT32. As you cannot change NTFS to FAT32 - you would need to wipe drive D and reinstall Win XP (using FAT32).

Have you tried using the Win ME driver on Win XP. I have a Cannon scanner (different model) and it worked fine with the Win ME driver - even though both the MS and Cannon websites advised that it would not work.

©®@$ђ 16:29 19 Feb 03

You cannot go from NTFS to FAT32 non-destructively with XP native tools.
You can do this with applications like Partition Magic, but not with what's
built-in to XP.

You can do it destructively by booting from a DOS floppy disk, run FDISK and
delete the non DOS partition, then recreate a new DOS partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…