Dual booting audio problem

Spark6 12:02 16 Jul 04

I have Windows 98SE and XP Pro dual booted on a second computer. My current problem with this setup is that XP does not 'see' the Sound Blaster 16 card and puts up error notices saying that no sound device is installed.

Audio on the 98SE system however, is ok. To be able to prove that the XP welcome was producing sound I have enabled the OnChip Sound in Chipset Features Setup and connected the speakers to the corresponding socket. CD Rom is OK with this setup.

Is anyone able to explain why XP is not recognising this sound card and whether there is a solution.

Thanks in anticipation!

Valvegrid 12:47 16 Jul 04

That's a strange one.

I don't know too much about XP, but have you been to device manager and had a look to find the yellow exclamation mark, then if you've got the drivers for Sound Blaster 16 try loading them on XP. I think Sound Blaster 16 is quite an old card, so XP might not pick it up in it's list of drivers.

Anyway, if I'm worng, it will put your post to the top again.

Spark6 14:47 16 Jul 04

Valvegrid

I appreciate your reply, there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, unfortunately I do not have a driver for the card.

Hopefully, someone will be able to explain why one O.S. recognises it and the other doesn't. Is there an alternative to buying a card that is compatible to both systems?

Hoping!

Spark6 16:38 16 Jul 04

Still hoping!

alan227 17:06 16 Jul 04

You can get the driver you need here click here and it is supported in XP.

Spark6 19:07 16 Jul 04

alan227

Nice one. I've downloaded the driver and will try it later.

Report back later.

Spark6 23:40 16 Jul 04

No joy!

Chegs ® 00:48 17 Jul 04

Check the driver is for your SB's actual chipset eg,CT4816, CT4751, CT5808, CT4740 and the CT4815.

There is an email Creative button on the site,try asking them.If the driver you have is for the SB's chipset already,erm,I'm stuck. :-)

Spark6 09:57 17 Jul 04

Chegs

I'll have a delve into the system and try to identify the chipset. If you read this before I come back, please tell me the easiest way to do this.

Thanks

Chegs ® 12:36 17 Jul 04

I was hoping aida32 would have done it,but I have just checked each sub heading and it says I have SB card,but not the chipset.Other than taking the lid off the PC and trying to identify the audio chips visually,again I'm stuck for a suggestion.

Valvegrid 14:25 17 Jul 04

You could try an audit on your system which may identify the chipset. Download and run the application from this site: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…