Dual booting with 2 hard drives

Felix 9115 18:39 12 Apr 03

I would like to have Win98 se and Win XP operating systems installed on seperate drives on my machine - I have put Win98 on the Primary Master disk and WinXP on the Primary slave disk, on boot up it goes straight into Win98 with no option to go into XP. I appreciate that there are already loads of articles about this, but would appreciate any concise information on how to achieve my aim, and if indeed it is a simple process or not.

Soy (AKA tran1) 18:58 12 Apr 03

I'm not too sure but if you put Xp as the master and 98 as the slave, Xp should recognise 98 and give you a boot option.

Try switching the hard drives around.

powerless 19:14 12 Apr 03

In XP...

Go to > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Click the third "Settings" now click "Edit"

Make the change, to read...

[boot loader]

[operating systems]
\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I've added spaces in between each line remove those spaces when you make the change.

Just wait for someone to say i'm right or wrong before you make the change.

powerless 19:17 12 Apr 03

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Kitz E Kat 21:14 12 Apr 03

Im not sure what way you loaded up the OS's.You MUST load up 98 first, on to your primary drive (C),then while in 98 load up XP. During the install process it will ask you where you want to load XP, load it on to you secondary drive (D).This shoul result in a dual boot system without making any changes in XP's default settings, you can then alter the settings as described above to adjust which OS will be the default one, time displayed before it will launch into the default OS etc. It sounds to me like you might not have loaded XP correctly, as if you did you would not have this problem. There is a mountain of stuff on the Microsoft site, go to WIN98 and type Dual Boot, youll have plenty to go on with, its easy to do , and its easy to do wrong!!! Hopethis helps

Felix 9115 14:03 13 Apr 03

Hi all - thanks for your input and help, achieved success on the second attempt and now have a dual booting system on soak. Kitz E Kat your way was spot on, also look at: click here for some great information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…