Dual booting

Rogerfredo 09:25 04 Apr 04

I used to run windows ME from my C drive.
When I upgraded to XP Home, it installed itself on the (larger) D drive.
When I boot the system, I now get the choice of the two OS to use (with a default to XP.
This works fine, but I no longer want to keep ME.
If I delete ME from the boot drive(c:), will XP still boot ok?

temp003 09:43 04 Apr 04

You need to retain 3 files under C, to continue to boot into XP. They are ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini.

If you just delete the folders under C, but leave the individual files immediately under C intact, then you will still be able to boot into XP.

Make sure you have backed up whatever personal data or other files you need from the C drive first before you delete the folders.

temp003 09:56 04 Apr 04

I suggest you boot into XP, in My Computer click Tools, Folder Options, View tab. Then (1) tick Show hidden files and folders (2) Untick Hide file extensions for known file types (3) Untick Hide protected operating system files, and say yes to the warning (4) click OK. [You can reset the settings to original later.]

Then insert a floppy, right click Drive A and select Format. On next window, just click Start. After formatting, go to C drive and copy from C the files ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini and bootsect.dos to the floppy. [The file bootsect.dos is for booting into ME in a dual boot. You won't need it, but back it up at this stage anyway.]

Then remove floppy and label it. You now have a backup of your existing boot files.

Then double click the c:\boot.ini file. It opens in Notepad.

Under the section [operating systems], there should be a line that says:

C:\="Microsoft Windows ME"

or something like that. Just delete that line. That's the only change you need to make.

Click File, Save. Exit Notepad. Restart computer. It should go straight into XP without giving you a choice of OS.

Then delete the folders on the C drive. The Windows ME folders are: My Documents, Program Files and WINDOWS. You can leave the individual files alone.

After deletion, restart into XP. If everything seems OK, re-insert the XP boot floppy created earlier, and copy the new c:\boot.ini file to the floppy, replacing the old one on floppy. Also delete bootsect.dos from floppy. If the boot files on C become corrupted, you can still restart computer with this floppy and it will boot you into XP.

Rogerfredo 10:18 04 Apr 04

Temp 003,
Thanks for such a comprehensive and quick answer!
I will do this now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…