//some 3rd party need geo

dual booting?

dfghjkl 21:52 15 Nov 03

hello,i would like to be able to choose which hard drive to boot into,i have a 30gig with xp pro on it as my main drive,i have a spare 4.5gig hard drive that has xp pro on it also.i might try 98se on the 4.5 or leave it as xp but i dont want a master and slave set up,i want 2 os,the second one will be for the kids,testing etc,i have (or will have)an msi kt4 mobo,do i need to buy any software?or can i get it free? or does this mobo support anything that will allow me to do it?i have heard of being given a choice at start up,but dont know any details,can any one help?

Diodorus Siculus 23:40 15 Nov 03

If you install win98 first, then win XP you will get the option at start up of which OS to load.

I cannot see how you might have other than master/slave (unless you put the two hdd on separate ide channels).

My advice would be:

IDE 1 - 30gb hdd as master

IDE 1 - 4.5 as slave

OR:

IDE 1 - 30gb as master

optical drive as slave

IDE 2 - 4.5gb as master

optical drive as slave

or do a search for flecc's thread on how to install win98 after winxp is already there.

Steve N 23:53 15 Nov 03

If you have the two XP Pro OS' on the different drives as you say then you will already be booting into one or other of the hard drives depending on which OS you select at the boot screen.

As for adding 98SE. Don't try to install it 'over the top' of Windows XP as it will cause boot up issues. If you REALLY want to have 98SE on (???) then it is better to have this installed first and then install Windows XP over the top of that.

If you do as you say have the two OS' installed but you cannot select which one to boot into then you may need to change a setting which is stoppping you from selecting which opertating system to boot into.

Follow these instructions:
-Right click on My Computer on the Desktop and click properties. The System Properties box should appear

-Select the Advanced tab, and in the Startup and Recovery section click Settings. The Startup and Recovery box will appear.

-At the top you will see a System Startup section. Your default operating system (and the one you are hopefully in now) will be selected and you should be able to change between the two OS' that you have installed.

-To enable you to select which OS to use at boot time, ensure that there is a check next to Time to display list of operating systems.

-Click OK and OK again.

-Next time you reboot your computer you should be able to select which OS and which hard drive to boot into.

Note: Be careful with these settings as they are extermely important!

dfghjkl 00:26 16 Nov 03

i am using the 2 hard drives seperate to each other,i had a problem on my 30gig so i took it out and used my 4.5 then when i had time i took out 4.5 and put in 30gig then formated and reinstalled ,both have xp pro on (i will give up on 98se if too much hassle)so i manually swap them at present and i want to keep them seperate,as i have heard of conflicts when running 2 os,to do this do i need them on seperate ide cables with both set to master or as a master and slave on one.

dfghjkl 17:21 16 Nov 03

bump

powerless 17:29 16 Nov 03

No matter what Install 98 first - it will make it easier.

I'm having a little trouble following what you want to do (maybe i'm tired) could you try and explain it a little more?

You want 98 and 2 XP pros but you also want a boot screen to select which os to use?

dfghjkl 19:04 16 Nov 03

what i want is to have 2 seperate hard drives each with an os,one for me and one for the kids,i have it now but i manually change the drives over by hand mainly because my ide cable has only one connector on it and my cdr and dvd are on the other,i am getting a new mobo (and cable) and i want to connect the both drives up and choose which one to use at boot up.what i want to know is how do i do it,do i buy software or is it already able to do it anyway

powerless 19:20 16 Nov 03

No need to buy software.

Best wait till you have the new mobo and cable.

But i guess you want to use XP Pro for each drive?

Well just install XP pro to one drive, then install XP pro to the other drive. When the second install is installing it will make the changes to present you with a boot screen so you can choose with os [on which drive] you want to use.

To make it more easier to understand which os is for you and which os is for the little ones. You'll have to edit the boot.ini file. Very simple to do.

Just go to start run and type:

C:\boot.ini

Click OK.

You should see...

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

...but without the spaces.

Just choose which installtion you want and then make a chnage like this

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Dads Drive, kids hands off!!!" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Kids you use this one or ELSE!!!!" /fastdetect

When you boot the computer you shall see:

Dads Drive, kids hands off!!!

Kids you use this one or ELSE!!!!"

Then it jsuts a case of choosing which one you want.

Also password protect your installtion in case they want to have a peep at your installation.

leo49 19:22 16 Nov 03

If you don't want to go to all that trouble simply install a boot-manager.

powerless 19:23 16 Nov 03

lol what trouble?

leo49 19:24 16 Nov 03

Installing Windows twice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…