dual boot xp/vista

rounddancer 11:06 01 Jan 11

I've lost the ability to dual boot xp and vista on my laptop. I don't know how this happened. Both systems as options on bootup, but only xp option works. Can I overcome this problem somehow, without completly re-installing either or both systems. None of my Acronis system backups restores the working dual boot.
Can anyone help, please.
Peter

stormrider123 12:04 01 Jan 11

Hi when you boot into vista does it give you some sort of error message or does it just hang at a black screen

Terry Brown 12:23 01 Jan 11

Goto RUN and type in MSCONFIG
Click the Boot.ini option
Run 'Check all boot paths'

That should find and corect the problem.
Terry

rounddancer 10:31 04 Jan 11

To stormrider123: I get no error message, it just hangs at a black screen. Any suggestions?
To Terry Brown: I tried your suggestion and get a message:- It appears that the following line in the BOOT.INI file does not refer to a valid operating system - 'multi(0)disk(0)prtitition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows Vista"/noexecute=optin /fastdetect -
Would you like to remove it from the BOOT.INI file?
YES/NO
This is a line I put into BOOT.INI when I first lost the option to boot into Vista, having looked at several websites for ideas. Without that line, it boots straight into XP. Any further ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…