Dual Boot XP and XP on seperate drive probs

Logov 23:12 10 Aug 04

I have clean installed XP Pro on two seperate drives one an IDE and the other a SATA. The installs were done independently (disk by disk). After installing successfully on the SATA drive I reconnected both drives configuring the IDE as master. I then went through the Recovery Console to enter a 'Load Identifier' for each to make things easier.

Upon restart I was given the option of the two drives (the IDE being C: and configured as master, and the SATA being E:)and chose the name I had given the SATA Drive. However, the IDE drive loaded insttead. Thinking I had obviously got the two the wrong way round I restarted and then chose the other drive. Wrong! The Ide drive was again the drive that loaded.

I can't figure this out as I've done this process successfully before but with two IDE drives (admittedly after asking advice due to having limited knowledge), so is the SATA the problem? I know I'm missing something obvious.

The boot.ini file reads as follows:
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="drive1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="drive2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

In order to have the two drives bootable what should this read and how do I go about rectifying this prob?

powerless 23:21 10 Aug 04

There is only a defined disk of which they all point to the same disk. So each option points to the same disk...

So chage to: multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="drive1" /fastdetect

To whatever line to disk.

Logov 00:15 11 Aug 04

Thanks for responding. Tried as you suggested but upon boot to the selected drive I get the following message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration Problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware." The IDE drive boots ok as it did before.

TomJerry 01:21 11 Aug 04

Bootmagic (come with partition magic), OS Selector, System Commander all do great job. Work stright off box, no tweaking needed.

Logov 11:06 11 Aug 04

Thanks for responding. I'm beginning to warm to the idea of a boot management programme but I'm reluctant to spend the extra money when I know its possible to have a perfectly good and functioning system with just a little aquired knowledge. Trouble is I haven't aquired that knowledge just yet.

cga 11:17 11 Aug 04

The problem with XP boot manager is that the two images are not completely indipendant. The same partion remains active and the boot.ini redirects the system startup. This is fine for some functions but not if anything happens to your main partition and you need to reinstall.

With a boot manager you set Boot.ini in each to point to itself (the easiest way to do this is, on installation, set it to a number of options and edit the unwanted ones out later). Then each system partition is completely indipendant of the other (but you probably need to modify the paging in each separately).

johnsims 11:23 11 Aug 04

Try HyperOs One Click at about £50, you can then have up to 4 copies of XP and it will do the partitioning for you. (PM built in)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac