dual boot XP and ME idiots guide

cowangate 22:48 09 Feb 03

Anyone know of a site that has anidiots guide to installing XP onto a ME pc. Preferably with a step by step guide and screenshots

PSF 22:55 09 Feb 03

click here;EN-US;winxpfaq

Have a look here in the get started section.

PSF 22:56 09 Feb 03

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;winxpfaq

Have a look here in the get started section.

remove spaces after //

cowangate 23:12 09 Feb 03

Thanks PSF

I had looked at that but I need something a little simpler I am passing the link on to a friend whohas just bought a copy of Xp but does not want to do a fresh install because of the data on his hard drive so wants to go for dual boot

crx16 23:21 09 Feb 03

is it full XP or upgrade.i think XP will have to go on before ME,so that may have to be copied/moved?

if they have XP upgrade,with help of 'partition magic' its a breeze.

jazzypop 23:30 09 Feb 03

click here - every variation, with full screenshots.

BTW, MS recommend that you install the oldest version of Windows first, and the newest version last, if you want to multiboot.

VoG™ 23:36 09 Feb 03

"does not want to do a fresh install because of the data on his hard drive"

There is no need to do a dual boot. If they insert the XP CD the default will be to install XP over ME, leaving all data and programs intact. In the situation as you have described there is no need for a dual boot unless they have incompatible software click here

Terrahawk 23:38 09 Feb 03

if my memory serves corect install XP first use a prog like partition magic create a partion in front of XP then install ME on the new partition

cream. 23:40 09 Feb 03

If your friend wants to duel boot then they will need a partition or slave hard drive.

To do this just boot to windows and insert the cdrom. It will then give the option for upgrade or full installation, from a drop down box.

If there is a large partition,3+ gig or a slave hard drive then pick full installation. As it progresses it will ask which drive you want it to be installed.

If there is just one hard drive with no partitions. Then you can pick upgrade. This will leave all the files and settings intact, but will just leave X\P on the machine.

For either option make sure the fat32 filing system is used, so M.E. can see X\P.

The upgrade path also offers the choice, through add and remove programmes, to uninstall X\P with out damaging M.E.

cowangate 23:50 09 Feb 03

I have copied this thread to my friend but still expect phonecalls

Terrahawk 23:59 09 Feb 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…