Dual boot XP and ME

svven 23:20 15 Jan 05

I've got XP loaded on one hard disk and ME loaded on an other. I can select either to boot from in the bios, but I've been trying to work out how to dual boot them without having to change the boot sequence in the bios. Can I do this in the boot.ini on the XP drive. If so how, as I've been trying all sorts of combinations, with no success.

steven_frost 23:23 15 Jan 05

did you load XP on first or ME on first

the best thing to do is load ME on then load XP on this will creat your dual boot option

THE TERMINATOR 01:14 16 Jan 05

As said by steven_frost. If you have ME installed on your C drive and XP installed on your D drive(I take it these were installed separately) then what you need to do is boot up to ME and put the XP disk in the drive and when it ask's you where you want XP installed, choose your D drive. It will install XP over your current version and create a dual boot menu, from which you will be given the choice of which Operating System to boot into the next time you boot up, and your other programs will still be ok....TT

temp003 04:50 16 Jan 05

Since you seem to have installed the 2 OS's separately on 2 hdds (each hdd having its own boot files), you can try OSL2000. click here Download and unzip it to its own folder. Get a floppy ready. Double click the setup.exe file to install. When asked whether to create an uninstall diskette, say yes, insert the floppy and create it. After installation, nothing seems to happen, but when you restart, you will get a table of partitions to choose to boot from.

temp003 05:22 16 Jan 05

Most boot managers like OSL2000 need to rewrite the MBR. If you don't like the idea and prefer XP's native dual boot, you can follow THE TERMINATOR's method (which because it's a full repair installation, will require you to reinstall all Windows Updates including SP2, since your XP CD version). Make sure you click the drop down list to select install a new copy (Advanced), and not upgrade.

topdude 09:57 16 Jan 05

Search the web for "boot.ini" Read the instructions carefully and make a backup of your old boot.ini file. You can then edit the file to give you boot options for either drive on startup. You end up with a screen during bootup where you can select which Operating System to boot from.

This is what happens automatically when you load a second operating system from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac