dual boot xp and kubuntu

stephen0205 17:49 08 Mar 07

Hi there i have decided that after long hard choice of linux os, i want kubuntu 6.10, i ordered the disk and i want to dual boot it with windows xp , so i created a partition whith some software and called the other partition linux, i know its not as easy as a quick install but id like to know how to do it, i have dual booted ubuntu before and i think that it might be the same but i want it to be clear before i reformat my drives. please help, thanks

ashdav 17:55 08 Mar 07

best way to prepare for this is:
1.defrag the hardrive.
2.using Disk Management tool in Windows create a partition of the desired size
3.now delete it.
This creates a free space which Kubuntu will automatically detect and install to. It will partition it to suit its own requirements.

stephen0205 18:42 08 Mar 07

yes but i want to dual boot, select cp or kubuntu, how will this work , will it have a grub loader

ashdav 00:08 09 Mar 07

all the Linux distros will install a dual boot loader (Grub or Lilo) and give you the option when you start up the pc.

ashdav 00:14 09 Mar 07

You can add multiple operating systems in this way using the method in my first post above. Creating partitions is easier under XP.
Each time you install a new Linux the boot loader will be updated and added to the options at start up.
I recently had XP,suSe 10.2,Kubuntu,ubuntu and Mandriva all on the same computer as an experiment and it all worked.
Try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced