Dual boot Win XP / 98

Patched 13:41 09 Dec 04

I am currently running Windows XP home edition (upgrade from Win 98).

I have some old files, Wordperfect 7 that do not open properly in Word 2000. I have installed WP 7 but it keeps crashing.

Therefore I have decided to make my computer dual booting and want to install Win 98 SE on an external drive.

How do I do this and are there any problems that are likely to occur?

gold 47 14:00 09 Dec 04

YOU can't put any OS on a external drive.
You can partition your HD or you can have two hard drives,in my view to have a dual boot you end up with problems if on a single hard drive

Eeyore_Tony 16:09 09 Dec 04

Have you tried running Wordperfect 7 in Windows XP compatability mode? As this runs the program as if it were in a Windows 98\ME environment.

TomJerry 16:19 09 Dec 04

it is free and it can open many file formats.

The best way to have multi-boot on a hard drive is to set up using "Partition Magic & Boot Magic" which is really a magic program.

It is possible to run WinXP and some installed programs from a CD-ROM (or DVD ROM), I am not sure if this is possible for WIN98

TomJerry 16:25 09 Dec 04

If you use programs such as VMWare or MS Virtual PC, you can creat a (or many) "Virtual PC" inside your WinXP environment and install Win98SE in this virtual PC. If only work if your host PC is powerful and you have enough RAM.

VMWare is very easy to use, you can get a fully functional evaluation copy to try out click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…