dual Boot win xp

ej_clan 23:10 25 Nov 04

I'm using windows Xp Pro and have dual booted the system with 2 hd's. when i boot up i get a command screen which gives me the option to boot to win xp pro or win xp pro is there anyway I can edit the regestry and rename the above to eg Dads Pc

Rtus 23:44 25 Nov 04

I use 2 drive caddies for my main unit ,finding by using these I avoid any boot up screen/delays it also gives the ability to change to any trial system I want to depending on availability of surplus hard drives,and return to the original immediately when required.drive caddies can be purchased from dabs for around £8-£12 inc pp (or less)>> (If I remember correctly)look into the Boot.ini ,it can be edited in wordpad. (Do save a copy of original first save as Bootold.ini)remember it has to return to the original folder to be activated> should look like >>

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Vindoze

smudge101 23:55 25 Nov 04

To view your boot.ini file in xp you will have to (in windows explorer) go to tools/folder options. Click on the view tab and deselect the checkbox next to Hide protected operating system files.
In the root of the C drive you will then see a file called boot. As rtus said, open with notepad. you will see something similar to this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Except your will have two lines, multi(0)disk(1)etc.
For the HD your dad uses change the ="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" to whatever you want it to read.
Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…