Dual Boot on a Win 7 & XP computer

Pathologist 12:29 11 Jul 10

I have a new computer which has both Win 7 and XP installed. The default boot OS is Win 7 and I want to change it to XP. I've tried doing this in the BIOS, but that hasn't worked - I guess I'm not doing it properly. Advice please.

mgmcc 13:00 11 Jul 10

Go into the System Configuration utility ("Start > Run", type MSCONFIG and click OK), then select the Boot tab. Highlight the entry for XP and click the button to set it as Default.

john bunyan 13:52 11 Jul 10

I had dual boot XP and W7 for a few weeks. Found I did not need XP pretty soon. If you launch XP, for some reason it deletes restore points in W7. I think there is a fix - Google and I think you have to regetit something.Do you particularly need XP?

john bunyan 13:53 11 Jul 10
  Pathologist 14:46 11 Jul 10

The system utility suggestion doesn't work. My two OSs are on completely different drives C and D - the XP SU one only offers XP as the default, with no other option. The Win 7 drive also only offers Win 7 as an option. However, my initial boot sequence comes up with the two OSs, with Win 7 as the default. I want to set XP as the default until I get familiar with Win 7.

john bunyan 15:07 11 Jul 10

I am not sure how to solve your issue - when I had dual boot the initial screen gave an option which to boot. Whichever it was became the C Drive. If the other was launched - that became the C drive.

Pathologist 15:40 11 Jul 10

Thanks. I guess I'll have to settle for the current situation - it may even make me adopt Win 7 sooner than I planned!

Zeppelyn 23:32 14 Jul 10

What you need is Easybcd, select Edit Boot Menu and select XP as default. Its the easiest way to edit Win 7 boot files.

click here to download.

Pathologist 17:54 16 Jul 10

Zeppelyn,
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll have a go with that program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…