DUAL BOOT - Vista/LINUX

strokebow 14:41 10 Aug 08

Hi,

I already have Vista 64 installed on my comp and want to install Linux (ubuntu) on my free Hard disk drive.
I've never done a dual boot before and would like to ask advice on the processes involved.
eg) will my current OS and files be corrupted in anyway?
How is the process carried out specific to my situation having vista 64 already installed?

Thanks for your time

octal 14:46 10 Aug 08

I have installed a few distributions and the best advice is make sure you fully understand how to install and set up the partitions correctly otherwise it can go seriously wrong. There should be plenty of information on the Ubuntu forum on how to do that.

LastChip 14:48 10 Aug 08

I have to go out now for a few hours, but I'll come back later with some details.

woodchip 14:48 10 Aug 08

You need to download a Free Boot Manager click here=

ambra4 16:06 10 Aug 08

How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

click here

strokebow 16:11 10 Aug 08

Ok. Thanks guys. What does the boot manager do?

Also, I have a seperate HDD I will install on so I dont need to partition the existing drive with Vista64 on.

Thanks in advance

woodchip 19:37 10 Aug 08

Boot Manager gives you a choice at startup, what do you want to run

LastChip 20:52 10 Aug 08

ambra4's link does not tell the whole story, as it uses a "Guided" install, rather than a manual installation.

It *is* critical that you decide how you want to dual boot, and therefore, which boot manager you want to use. (a boot manager, manages the operating systems on your computer).

You can in fact use boot.ini within Windows, but it's a fairly complex route for a novice Linux user and I wouldn't recommend it.

You could use a boot manager, such as the one supplied with the Partition Magic suit, or the one Acronis has available. There are any number of third party boot managers available.

Or you can let Linux use it's own boot manager. However, you should be aware, that if you choose this method and want later on to un-install Linux, it can be problematic building Vista's boot sequence.

The *only* time you would let Linux write it's boot manager to your C: drive would be if you accept the last option. And that's what will happen with an automated installation.

For any other options, you would tell Linux to install it's boot manager to the first sector of the drive you are installing to. This is done via the "Advanced" settings during the installation procedure. Your selected boot manager will then pick up the new operating system and offer it when booting the computer.

You need to understand what you are doing to dual boot these systems. Please don't take this as trying to put you off - far from it! That's the last thing I want to do, but I also don't want you demoralised and upset because it has not gone according to plan.

If you're anywhere near Southend, come along to SoSlug (see links later) and we'll be absolutely delighted to help you.

It is also important you understand how Linux recognises hard drives and what partitions it needs to function properly. The next couple of links may help you understand some basic concepts. I wrote them with complete Linux novices in mind:

click here
click here

The second link refers to PCLinuxOS, but could equally refer to any mainstream distribution.

If you have any other more specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Ozy 23:19 10 Aug 08

I installed Ubuntu Linux.
Compaired to Windows it is very hard to understand.
I try to get sound, I put in the sound card disc, it does not start,
I just get the files on the disc, a readme is gobbledegook, it says,
Extract tar file by tar xvzf cmpi-xx tar.gz, plus a lot more gobbledegook.
It asks me to update Ubuntu, I click update an error box says,
Dpkg was interrupted, manually run dpkg-configure to A.
How do I do that ? if A is a floppy drive, I do not have a floppy drive
I have had it with Ubuntu I’ll stick with Windows

woodchip 23:23 10 Aug 08

sound card disc is for windows not linux. Its like anything else you have to get used to using it. if there was nothing else you would soon learn to use it. You have to search Linux Forums etc for drivers and help on doing things

LastChip 23:59 10 Aug 08

Your getting these problems because you expect to use Windows drivers in Linux.

As woodchip has pointed out, it does not work in this way.

Linux has its own way of doing things and has its own drivers and software.

If you don't want to learn a new way of doing things, that's fine. But don't criticise something that you don't understand. Your lack of knowledge, is not the fault of Linux. One of the first things I tell people that are interested in trying Linux is, you need to think differently. Although the system these days is fundamentally point and click, (just like Windows), there are very substantial underlying differences.

But once you get to know your way around, the system rewards you well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…