dual boot from two hard drives xp and 7

gordon2210 13:51 02 Jul 10

To begin with I will apologise as this is going to be a long message. (just to get all the details)
I recently bought a medion windows 7 computer from a third party (tescos) and as such I do not have a windows 7 disk.

Windows 7 worked perfectly but I wanted to create a dual boot system.(how hard could it be)lol

First I had no option but to disable my windows 7 hard drive and instal another. (As I didn't want to corrupt the w7 os) As I got xp pro installed I new it was going to be fun and games (installing drivers to take xp from ide channel to ahci without a floppy drive) So that both Os can run without going to bios everytime I wanted to change Os's

Finally managed to get both operating systems running in ahci and both Os's are running well.

My problem now is my bootloader(always something it seems) I have configured xp to read in bios as part 0 and W7 to run as part1.
If I swap these in bios both Os's run(but only the one that gets loaded first)
Both Os read the other hard drive and can move files back and forth (should I choose)

I also put xp as the first bootable drive so that if it all goes wrong I can reinstal xp as I dont have a W7 disk this seems like the most sensible thing to do.

Is there anyway I can alter or change xp's bootloader program (or something) and get xp to read the W7 disk at startup and finish creating my dual boot dual disk setup?
I am not very bright when it comes to working with reg file and the like so a step by step guide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and please help I don't know what to do.
Gordon

woodchip 15:06 02 Jul 10

If you have loaded the OS on both drives you need a Boot Manager click here

john bunyan 15:16 02 Jul 10

I had dual boot XP and W7 for a few weeks. Ditched XP. Is it worth the bother - no, in my opinion! Do you have stuff that really nust have XP?

gordon2210 15:33 02 Jul 10

I have files that only work on xp so I will try the boot manager and let you know how I get on thanks woodchip

Pine Man 15:44 02 Jul 10

Most BIOSs have a built in boot manager by pressing F8 during boot up - well mine does anyway;-)

gordon2210 18:26 02 Jul 10

I used the boot manager and it corrupted my windows 7 files..Funny as it read xp partition no probs.
After using the recovery disk I got with the computer installing w7 with all drives running and it sorted itself out..
I could have used f8 at startup but with 3 hard drives, card drives ect this got confusing especially as I was moving drives around.
Seems that if anyone else is planning a dual boot system with W7 they will have to instal older OS's first.
Thank you all for your help.
Gordon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…