Dual boot system can i ?????????

sicknote 18:12 15 Dec 03

Hi all
I want to make a dual boot Winxp system (xp on 2 differentharddrives) what i need to know is it possible to rename the them so when it starts up i know which xp is on C and which is on D.
i hope this make sense !!!!

Many Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 18:14 15 Dec 03

You will be able to edit the boot.ini file that will be created - thus I have win98 called "superfast" as it is stripped of lots of clutter using 98Lite, Win2k called "daily routine" and XP called Bloat.

Diodorus Siculus 18:15 15 Dec 03

And when starting, you will be able to tell the PC to show the menu for any period of time (30 seconds is default).

temp003 08:48 16 Dec 03

To edit boot.ini as suggested by Diodorus Siculus, do this.

When you've got the dual boot installed, boot into either XP, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings. Click the Edit button. Boot.ini will open in Notepad.

You can change the timeout value from 30 to a smaller number (I suggest not less than 5, preferably 7, as you may lose a couple of seconds by the time the screen appears).

At the bottom, under the section [operating systems], there will be 2 lines.

After a second copy of XP is installed, it will usually be at the top of the list, so the first line refers to the new copy. If you're installing this 2nd copy to the slave hard disk, the line should read (assuming Home Edition):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

Change the words in the quotation marks to anything you like to identify the new copy of XP.

You can also change the description for the original copy, in the second line, similarly if you like.

Then click File, Save. Exit Notepad. click OK, OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…