Dual boot system

Craig-289433 14:45 28 May 03

Is there anyway of installing windows 98 on any other drive apart from the boot drive. I have windows XP running, but would like 98 to be installed to run various software that won't run properly under XP, even when you change the compatibility.

I have 3 drives in my system, one where windows XP is installed, another with data and another that has stuff that can be archived.

I know you could install 98 then install XP so that you got a screen asking which you wanted to us, but is there any other way.

The Sack 15:35 28 May 03

You need to install Windows 98 first and then XP, XP will then set up a boot manager. There will be other ways but thats the best solution.

Craig-289433 16:46 28 May 03

I know about that way as that is how I used to have it set up, before people told me it was better to do a clean install of XP. I would prefer 98 to be on the third drive. I know you can have simular setups with things like linux and windows.

Newuser38 18:28 28 May 03

I think this is the posting you need click here

soy 18:41 28 May 03

If you get yourself a boot manager such as Boot magic, you can install Windows 98 onto your third drive. Then boot magic will find and locate all the OS's in your setup and give you a boot menu.

I got Bootmagic with Partition Magic which costs around £25. another is called 'Acronis OS selector' click here.

A few months back, I installed windows 98 onto my second hard drive and Boot magic on the first with my windows XP. I booted into Bootmagic and configured it to see both operating systems and give me a boot menu at startup.

Craig-289433 19:35 28 May 03

Soy the way you got a dual boot system, does it matter which operating system you install first.

soy 19:49 28 May 03

No, Boot magic will see all the operating systems automatically. You just configure which OS's you want it to display in the boot menu.

powerless 19:59 28 May 03

Install Windows 98 to the third drive.

You will now have two bootable drives. If you want to use the BIOS to boot into one or the other operating system. Set the BIOS to boot from the drive which has the operating you want to use.

If you want the boot loader that XP gives, to give you choice of operating system.

In XP go to start > Run > Copy and Paste:

C:\boot.ini

Click ok... Below the line of "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect"

Add this line underneath:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98"

Save it.

Reboot XP and you should be given a Menu. Select 98 and see if she boots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…