Dual boot to single boot.

Nessie 13:33 05 Sep 04

I have a pc with 2 hard drives. On one I have win98 and on the other I have xp pro. I had this set up just in case anything went wrong with xp pro. I now want to get rid of the win98. I have partition magic 7. I know the boot sector is on the win 98 HD and believe it is a bit of a job to do. Any help would be great. Once I have sorted it out I will use the win98 HD for data. I can not find boot.ini in the C drive where I expected to fing it but in D where it says
[Boot Loader]
timeout=2
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

I have posted before about this but it would be easier if it was on D. Cheers

Steve N 21:09 05 Sep 04

Which HDD (master or slave) is Windows XP located and can you find the boot.ini file on the drive that XP is installed on?

Nessie 22:38 05 Sep 04

master is C which has win98. Slave is D with XP. I can only find boot.ini on XP drive

Steve N 13:13 19 Sep 04

You could try just removing the Win 98 disk and setting ur XP drive as master and see if it boots up?

BurrWalnut 14:44 19 Sep 04

This has worked for me in the past.

At a command prompt type bootcfg /default/n where n is 1 or 2 representing the OS that you want to make the default (WinXP is probably listed as the second one).

Then bootcfg /delete/n where n is the OS you want to delete (Win98 is probably 1, i.e. listed first)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant