dual boot sata drives

FormatKing 19:56 09 Apr 06

hi guys
have dell dimension 8400 with 2 seagate sata drives
sys originally had xp home and I have installed xp pro on other drive both drives are seen in bios and as F drive on each other
in order to boot ech drive I have to put drive in sata 0 slot which is messy as have to open sys each time changed boot.ini from
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
to
boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
and at boot I get option for xp pro or xp home but it will only boot to pro regardless of what I choose
can see nothing in bios to allow for dual boot what else must I configure in windows

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 09 Apr 06

Change boot loader to tell windows to boot from second drive

IE in one path change disk0 to disk1

FormatKing 20:21 09 Apr 06

hi Fruit Bat
changed boot.ini to
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

when xp home selected get error message but xp pro boots ok
xp pro on sata 0 and xp home on sata 1 in bios
should I edit boot.ini on xp home as well

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 09 Apr 06

You do not need a boot.ini on the second drive

Start -run -type msconfig

select boot.ini tab and then click check boot paths

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 09 Apr 06

ARC Paths

The operating system uses the ARC path to determine where the operating system resides. The path multi(X)disk(Y)rdisk(Z)partition(W)\<windows_dir> provides a pointer to the device location of the operating system. Determining the values for X, Y, Z, and W, however, can be problematic.

There is also a scsi(X)disk(Y)rdisk(Z)partition(W)\<windows_dir> ARC path convention that is used with SCSI drives. SCSI drives are more complicated, since you might be using a mix of the two ARC path types. Because IDE (including Serial ATA) drives have improved performance, and SCSI drives are less popular, we will use IDE ARC path types as examples in this article. For more information on SCSI support, please see the MSDN ARC Path article reference in the References section. For this reason, we can say that the X and Y values are always 0 – multi(0)disk(0). This leaves only the Z and W values.

The Z value refers to the disk number, which start with 0. The disk order is typically defined by the IDE or SATA bus (IDE 0 or IDE 1 and SATA 0 or SATA 1) and whether the disk is a primary or secondary drive..

The W value refers to the partition number on the disk defined by the Z value. Partition numbers start with 1.

FormatKing 23:25 09 Apr 06

your a genius Fruit Bat
didnt see check boot paths until you pointed it out
tried loads of diff configs until accepted and works a treat it was rddisk that needed (1)
the ARC stuff went way over my head but sincere thanks for your help and hopefully this will help others
I deleted /noexecute=optin from both lines before fast detect but do not know if this was necessary
boot.ini that worked as follows

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

FormatKing 23:40 09 Apr 06

hi Fruit Bat
opened bottle of wine and re-read ARC Paths and it actually makes sense disk(z) is what I changed
The Z value refers to the disk number, which start with 0. The disk order is typically defined by the IDE or SATA bus (IDE 0 or IDE 1 and SATA 0 or SATA 1) and whether the disk is a primary or secondary drive..
so again many thks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac